Author Topic: Primer tube follower question  (Read 11875 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Primer tube follower question
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:01:11 am »
The primer follower rod exerts enough weight on the primers to help insure good feeding and protecting the primers from exploding, while at the same time, is strong enough to engage the primer bar when the primers run out.
Does anyone know what material was used on the end of the primer follower for this purpose?

Any suggestions on best method to retrofit a rod that does not have anything on the end? I have a second hand, weighted, (homemade by someone) brass rod that has nothing on the bottom, that I currently do not use for safety concerns. I can alter the top to a lighter weight so it is equal to the Star originals, but need something safe to add to the end where it contacts the primers, and when empty the primer bar.
Suggestions welcome.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Primer tube follower question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:07:56 pm »
Not sure what the material is on the end...some kind of plastic rod.  I've used Dillon primer tube rods from their Square Deal press with some success.  They do not weigh as much but you can attach a weight at the top and they do work in shutting down the press when the primers run out.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:34:58 pm »
Thanks for the idea.
I have a 550 I use for rifle that is three feet away on the bench, but I wrote the question form work and did not think of that.
Tried the Dillon plastic plastic follower which fits and works with no problem.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:04:41 pm »
I think the plastic end piece used in the primer follower rods, in at least the later machines, is probably Nylon 6/6.  I have used this material to replace damaged and lost pieces and to construct new follower rods.  I obtained it from McMaster-Carr  http://www.mcmaster.com/ and it is product number 8541K12.  It's just $0.33/ft
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 09:46:15 am »
Went to the site and looked it up. Appears to fit the bill. Thanks for the item number or I may have never found it. The site has a lot of varied items, which makes for some interesting speculation for other applications. (non-Star uses)
Thanks.