Author Topic: need info on part not shown in diagram  (Read 10775 times)

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
need info on part not shown in diagram
« on: June 02, 2008, 10:59:14 pm »
List,

I have a Universal loader from 1976.  I recently cleaned the machine and found the "key" that rides between the tool head and shaft is dinged up.  The tool head slides off easily but difficult to reinstall as it appears the "key" does not fit the slot just right.  It looks like one corner of the key is dinged up so it doesn't easily slide in. 

The key does not not show up in the diagrams I looked at.  Do anyone know if the part is something I can find at a hardware store?  Or will I need to make one myself?  Also, any ideas on how to remove the key?  Is it pressed in? 

TIA
Steve

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: need info on part not shown in diagram
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 08:00:24 am »
Can you post a photo, so we can get a better idea of what you're looking at?
Thanks.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:57:13 pm »
I have had a number of reloaders where the head moved without any resistance over its normal range of motion, but seemed very tight when removing and reinstalling the tool head.   Most of the time this is simply because the keyway slot is more worn where the key in the tool head usually travels, and less worn at the top of the shaft.   If you really think that the key is buggered up, I would use a jewelers file to smooth it out rather than try to remove the key.   Getting that key, or a new key back in might prove to be more difficult than you expected.

On some machines, the hole in the shaft through which the taper pin is inserted can get deformed, resulting in resistance when you try to move the tool head over that spot.   You can clean that up with a fine swiss file.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 12:31:30 am »
thanks for the help.  I'll give it a try with a fine file this weekend.   Appreciate the help and tips. 
-Steve