Author Topic: Lubrisizer value???  (Read 27105 times)

relodr36

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Lubrisizer value???
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:33:04 pm »
 I'm getting up in years and have decided to get rid of some stuff that I no longer use.
 I have an older Star Lubrisizer that I was planning on listing on eBay during the winter.
 I haven't used it for many years,but it is in good user condition.It is cast iron and not aluminum like the Magma's.
  I also have 7 sizing dies for .357,38 Spec,30 caliber,and 45 caliber.
  I would appreciate comments on what it is worth.
 Relodr36
The older I get,the better I used to be !!

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Lubrisizer value???
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »
It would be interesting to see a picture.   I have owned 7 different Star lubsizers and two Phelps Lubsizers, some of which were pretty old.  Not one was cast iron.  Never seen one that was cast iron.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

relodr36

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 08:02:50 pm »
Quote from the #1 Star expert:

The Magma company has simplified the Star design and uses aluminum instead of the original Star Cast Iron in their version of the Star luber and modified it for high volume production with air pressure and heated for using hard lubes for bullet casting businesses.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=6597

When I get time,I'll take some pictures,but like most old geezers,I'm pretty busy.Not much time left and so much ammo to shoot !!!

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 12:18:42 am »
I'm not saying that Star never made a Lubesizer with cast iron parts, but most of the lubesizers made by Star.......long before Magma Engineering got into the picture were made with a number of cast aluminum parts....and no cast iron parts.   As I have said, I have owned seven different Star Lubesizers, some of them quite old, and seen many others, and none of them had any cast iron parts..... I have seen at least four different variations of Star Lubesizers, and there very well could be more.  Star used a lot of cast iron in their reloaders so it wouldn't be a total suprise it they used cast iron in a Lubesizer at some point, but I'm sure we would all be very curious to see pictures of one with cast iron parts.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:32:35 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:32:06 am »
I said no cast iron parts, but actually the knurled cap of the lube sizer is cast iron on most Star Lubesizers, and the crank assembly shaft is probably machined cast iron......but they are still the same on Magma Engineering made lubesizers
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

relodr36

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 04:06:03 pm »
Have you checked them with a magnet?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 03:37:05 pm »
I think we are getting off track, and I'll take the blame for that.   You said your Star Lubesizer was made with cast iron parts not cast aluminum parts like a Magma Lubesizer.   I said that I have owned seven Star Lubesizers and they were not cast iron.   I was wrong in the sense that they do have some cast iron, but also have cast aluminum parts.   Maybe that's what you meant to say as well.   

If you actually have a Star that has no cast aluminum parts, and all of the castings are cast Iron, I would really like to see it.

I have never owned a Magma Lubesizer, but have purchased a number of parts from Magma Engineering, including some of the aluminum castings, and they are identical to those on my Stars.  I see no difference in the materals of construction between the Magma and a Star.

Below are pictures of three Stars that I have owned and a picuture of a Magma Lubesizer.  The blue parts and the base on my Stars are Cast Aluminum.   The same parts are aluminum on the Magma.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 03:39:08 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

relodr36

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 10:01:11 pm »
RB,
 You are right about the "blue painted parts" not being magnetic.
 The sizer I have appears to be like the one on the right in your picture,though mine is a little dirtier than yours.
  Go here:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=57208#post57208

and read post #28.
 Relodr

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 12:29:14 am »
I am very familiar with self the proclaimed #1 authority on all things Star. I have corresponded with him, and have even purchased a number of parts from him for my Star Reloaders.  I grant that he has some considerable knowledge in the area, but he also has an agenda..ie selling his now mostly depleted stock of Star Parts and Machines.   As I mentioned before, I have never owned a Magma Engineering Lubesizer, but I have purchased a number of parts from them, and those parts were identical to Star parts and not deficient in any way.

I have also read a number of posts on other forums (Cast Boolets in particular) from users who have owned both machines and see no difference.  So while I'm a big Star fan, I see no reason to bash Magma Engineering made units as inferior in any way......But maybe someone else on this forum has owned both Star and Magma lubesizers and is in a better position to comment.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

relodr36

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 07:55:57 pm »
"I am very familiar with self the proclaimed #1 authority on all things Star. I have corresponded with him, and have even purchased a number of parts from him for my Star Reloaders.  I grant that he has some considerable knowledge in the area, but he also has an agenda..ie selling his now mostly depleted stock of Star Parts and Machines.   As I mentioned before, I have never owned a Magma Engineering Lubesizer, but I have purchased a number of parts from them, and those parts were identical to Star parts and not deficient in any way."
  I bow to your experience.I have not had any experience with "Fitz" and took his posts at face value.
 Relodr

elysianfield

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 11:33:17 am »
Sir,
   To reply to your question...a useable star lube/sizer is currently valued at $225-$275...dies $25-$50 each...these are current Ebay prices.  Hope this helps.  Jerry

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 01:32:24 pm »
For what it is worth... I have two Lubrisizers, one an original Star and the other a newer Magma of recent vintage.  Both are quality machines.  The springs on the Star are flat wound and beefier however they both work the same.  Other than that aspect, I find both machines to be of excellent construction and perform equally well.

I would not at all consider my Magma inferior to my older Star.  I have retrofitted both with Magma bullet feeders and Magma heated (ajustable for amount of heat) lube bases.  With the bullet feeder and heated bases, these lubrisizers are wonderful tools.  Both of them are outfitted with more modern handles.  One has a Magma Shovel D handle and the other has a delrin L handle.  I find these handles more eronomically easier to use than the original style Star handle.  But that is my personal preference.

Most used Stars run in the $200+ range on ebay from what I have seen.  More if they have a library of dies and punches... less if they are beat up, or incomplete.

Getting off of the soapbox now....
Art In Connecticut

Larry

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:32 pm »
This question was asked in October, 2008??????????

shooter2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 07:53:04 pm »
Does an y one have a Star Lubricator for sale, sure would appreicate one.                Ed 209 887-9184