Author Topic: Needed: A Photo of Hulme Case Feeder  (Read 16470 times)

ebrem

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Needed: A Photo of Hulme Case Feeder
« on: November 19, 2008, 09:22:19 am »
Hello

I am new to this forum, new to reloading, and new to the Star Universal Reloader.  I am in the process of buying a Star Universal Reloader.  I have read on this forum about the Hulme Case Feeder and since I don't know what they look like I am wondering if anyone may have a photo of one so that I can identify it, "IF" I have one.

I am needless to say excited about this "Great Machine" and getting into reloading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Needed: A Photo of Hulme Case Feeder
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:55:51 am »
I have one, but no photo to provide.
Basically, a bowl attached to a long plastic tube with a mechanical arm on the bottom to slide the case onto the shellpate when the arm on the press moves the die head.
You might try searching     Star Reloading    on ebay. There have been some there in the past as an example.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:41:47 pm »
Hulme Case Feeder Picture attached.

Case feeder consists of four principal parts, the case feeder itself, the aluminum top plate which is different for different calibers (M3 works for 45 ACP and 38 Special) the case feeder cam which is attached to the tool head, and the feeder tube clamp which is attached to the top of the press.   Actually there is a fifth part, the feeder tubes, (clear plastic tubes about three ft long) but they are rarely sold with the press. 

Note:   I have seen about four different styles of Hulme case feeders.   All work on the same principal but the main steel block varies in size and shape.  The one pictured is probably the most common.  Most say Hulme Firearm Service on the side, but not all of them.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:48:07 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:58:56 pm »
rbwillnj;

Thanks for your input.
I was not aware the same feeder assembly would do both 38 and 45.

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 02:17:19 pm »
With the right top plate, you can use the same feeder for all calibers.  If you have an M3 top plate just flip it 180 degrees for 38 Special.  The M3 also works for 40 S&W.   The M3A is for long cases like 44 Magnum, 45 LC and 41 Magnum, but flipped 180 degrees can also be used for 45 ACP.    9mm and other smaller calibers require special top plates, but you still use the same case feeder.   For short cases like 380 and 32 ACP, Hulme made a conversion kit with the required top plate and a substitute ram that was milled down on the top so that it would not catch the case above.

Dillon actually made a top plate for 30 Carbine/.223 for use on his SuperStar .223 Conversion
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

ebrem

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:40:28 pm »
Hello rbwillnj and NYKenn

Thank you gentlemen for your replies.

rbwillnj-  That was one FANTASTIC photo of a Hulme case feeder-Star reloader. Your written explanation and the arrows on the photo made everything very clear.  I know the kind of time this takes to do and I greatly appreciate it.

Thank You Very Much, Ed

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 06:52:38 pm »
The bowl description mentioned would be a case feeder designed to deliver quantities of cases into a tube to feed the Hulme case feeder.

There were several methods to feed the Hulme:

1. a tube filled with cases placed on top of the case feeder -- usually it is convenient to have several tubes pre-filled with cases. Most of these tubes are clear plastic with a cotter pin at the bottom end to retain the cases until ready to release them.

2. a "Freeloader" -- it has a bowl set on top of a funnel with a shorter tube at the center. As this is moved back and forth by the press bullets in the bowl are shaken over the hole and drop base first into the tube for delivery to the case feeder.

3. a Chevron electric case feeder -- very similar to the units you see offered by Dillon or Hornady -- except the original was made of steel and is a bit more primitive in certain areas including the electrical wiring.

I believe one of our forum members was making a Freeloader type solution -- TDONEILL?

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 06:16:11 pm »
Ross,
Thanks for keeping me in mind. Right now I am looking for acceptable bowls. Check back from time to time.
I may have a case feeder available I'd have to look.
Thanks again,
Tom
TDO'NEILL