Author Topic: Interesting Ebay item  (Read 11262 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Interesting Ebay item
« on: May 27, 2009, 09:54:00 pm »
Currently listed in Ebay is an item for the Star. The "instacheck"
Started at $ 15.00, with buy it now for $ 20.00

Description says it checks for double powder charges, or no powder charge in case before seating.
Manual operation.

Any comments from anyone?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Ebay item
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 10:57:11 am »
I guess it's one person's approach to guarding against double or no charge rounds. W/O a hands on evaluation it would seem just as easy to back the plate up & remove the case for visual examination.

Many years ago I saw a star which provided for visual by a mirror permanently mounted.

These conditions are usually caused by some kind of interruption in operation, either mechanical or by outside interference. If the operator's routine does not cause a check to be made the method of check is of little value, unless of course it is automatic. Machine condition & maintenance is the 1st line in guarding against these problems.

Other's experiences, approaches, their routines would be of interest & I think contribute to safety.

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 11:41:37 am »
that is why I love the star press never had that problem  and I have been reloading for longer than I want to say but if you feel better with it go for it. there is a lot of stuff for the star and it is probably good but I like to feel the machine working it will and has let me know if there is a problem, just my thought

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 03:25:13 pm »
Knock on wood,,, I've been reloading on the star for many many years and have never had a double charge of powder or no charge of powder, but I attribute that to being extremly cautious, and if a  problem developes on the machine causeing an interruption then I simply make sure everything is right before continueing. this device may be useful to help get started after an interruption but would be a pain to use for every round.  I manually check useing a sheetrock nail to check for powder on re-starts.  but everyone to his own !!

Lindy

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:11:53 pm »
I pretty much concur with everyone's comments. Just wanted to see other thoughts.

All the tools, gimmicks, an d accessories may help some, but caution and attention to what you are doing is the key.
I too have not had a double or missed powder round, which I attribute to a regular routine for what I am doing.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"