Author Topic: Lube grooves - How many? What shape for optimum Star sizer effectiveness?  (Read 8089 times)

Naphtali

• View Profile
I have been disposing of my molds to acquire better casting solutions, via LBT or Mountain Molds, as needed.

I reload for 45 Colt (FA M97), 480 Ruger, 475 Linebaugh, and 45-70. I intend to acquire one two-cavity mold for each caliber - revolver bullets to be plain base WFN, 45-70 LFN bullet to emulate the shape of Beartooth's Piledriver Jr. and use gas check.
45 Colt (FA M97) bullet will be 270-300 grains.

480 Ruger (SRH) and 475 Linebaugh (FA M83) bullet will be 400-420 grains.

45-70 (Marlin M1895 XLR) bullet will be 415-430 grains.

Revolver bullets are WW and WW + 2, velocities not to exceed 1200 fps. Powders are Titegroup and H110 only to allow me to reload for pleasant shooting as well as hunting.

Rifle bullet will achieve as high velocity as is safe - that is, my target velocity from Marlin XLR (24-inch barrel) is 1900 fps. If I can kvetch out more, that's what I'll do. The load is not intended to be pleasant to shoot. I will use a sandbag "recoil pad" during most practice sessions. I anticipate no problem associated with excessive recoil during hunting season since the load would be fired no more than a few times in the field.
If I've left out any needed information, please ask for it. I'll do my best to supply it.
I have acquired a Star lube-sizer with heater. When the seller's Ballisti-Cast lube-sizer is delivered to him, I take possession of his Star. I estimate transfer to occur in about 10 weeks. Seller recommends LBT blue lube for all bullets.

How many lubrication grooves for each bullet identified? And what shape - depth, length, etc. - for them to achieve accuracy with as little leading as I can from my equipment? Since I have no sizing dies for the Star, are there precautions, nuances, or details I should know before investing in them for the bullets identified?
 George Orwell (pseudonym of Eric Arthur Blair)