Author Topic: How to adjust Shell Plate Dowel Pin  (Read 9281 times)

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
How to adjust Shell Plate Dowel Pin
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:42:45 pm »
The shell plate dowell pin binds in the base alignment hole and makes the throw with the handle difficult.  What's the best way to make a adjustment so the handle moves freely throughout the range of throw?

(I don't know whether to start pounding on the pin to change the alignment, start using a laping compound and work the pin in the hole or what.  I did raise the pin a inch or so but it is still tight and I also worried about any alignment problem that might cause. I  rotated the pin some but that didn't seem to help. When the pin is out of the shellplate, it drops freely through the base alignment hole. When I look at the pin against a straight edge, it does not appear to be absolutely straight but is very close with only a sliver of light in places.)

Appreciate some help on this one.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: How to adjust Shell Plate Dowel Pin
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:47:18 pm »
Sounds like you have a bent dowel pin.   I have encountered several of them and I have yet to figure out a way to straighten them out.   The Stars are made with such close tolerances that if the rod is bent even slightly, it will bind in the base.   The only solution I have found is to make new ones from 3/8" drill rod.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:42:47 pm »
I had a little issue like this a short time ago.  The pin would go into 4 of the holes easily, but would bind and cause resistance in 2 positions.  Rotating the pin did not help.  I knew the alignment was close, so I put the pin in a lathe chuck and turning slowly I used emery cloth to polish the the pin.  After a couple of tries the pin easily slipped into the 2 index holes.  Very little metal was removed from the pin (likely only .001-0.002), it was "just enough" to ensure smooth operation.  If drill rod is hard to come by you could try this.  Good luck.

John

Enco or MSC may be able to supply the rod if you dont have a local supplier.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:11:18 am »
Thanks to both respondents for the ideas.  Now I'll get to work!

Manuel