Author Topic: Reloading bench ideas?  (Read 34106 times)

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Reloading bench ideas?
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:31:05 pm »
I was considering setting up/building a new reloading bench to optimize the use of the Star reloading press.  My reloading arrangement over the years has consisted of having most presses (single stage,turret and shotshell) and equipment bolted to short planks and clamping various tools onto a bench or desk as needed.  While this provides some flexibility it has never been that satisfactory.  With some equipment the height is wrong, etc.  As a relative recent member of the progressive reloading group I was wondering what kind of setups that members here have designed to be useful and ergonomic with their Stars.  I am always looking for good ideas and I am sure there are some users out there that have fabricated some unique benches and press mounting arrangements.  Measurements for height and so on would be very useful and pictures would be great. 
With no camera and dubious computer skills I am somewhat digitally challenged, or I would start the photo parade.  I currently reload on an old office desk and a bench made from a solid core door mounted on steel legs.

After a recent bout of back trouble I am also considering making an arrangement to reload standing up (something I would not have believed possible a few months ago, getting older is not for sissies as my uncle used to say).

John

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Re: Reloading bench ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:10:31 pm »
I think Star recommended & I have seen several set up on a narrow bench about 14" wide, open underneath & positioned at a right angle to the tool/workbench. Heigth depends on whether the operator is seated or standing & if standing, his heigth. This allows easy access to tthe rear of the machine & a helper if a 2 man operation is to be used. The machines are usually mounted on blocks 1 1/2 to 2" high so a spent primer catcher can be slid under the base. I use T-nuts to hold them in place allowing easy moving of the machines

I have 2 mounted side by side in this manner & am planning to lengthen the bench as they are too close. A container for fin ammo can be  mounted underneath the bench & a passageway cut thru the bench for the rds to drop thru. Spent primers can be handled in a similair manner if desired

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:09 am »
I didn't have any work bench to spare, so before I got my first Star I started using Midway loading pedestals.   They have interchangeable plastic tops which can be drilled to mount various reloaders.  They even include templates for drilling the holes...  I found the Midway pedestals to be a little too light, so I filled the bases with concrete.

When I got my first Star, I went to work in the wood shop and built a "box" on which to mount the Star, and mounted the box on the Midway pedestal table.   Now I have three of these setups.   Attached is an older picture.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:41:59 am »
Bruce;

Dovetailed Oak, very nice.

Targets do not look too shabby either!

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 01:59:53 pm »
Thanks Kenn,

Actually just finger joints.   Dovetails are still a little beyound me.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 03:10:53 pm »
Yes. Wrong verbiage.
Looks good just the same.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:24 pm »
rbw,

NICE setup!  wish I could develop your habit of keeping things tidy & clean!

333OKH   would you post your pics? He has a quite similar looking setup.

Ron

eyegots2no

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:34:38 pm »
Upon this, I am immediately reminded of what Jack Nicholson said in Batman,  "....where does he get all those toys..."

Also, never in my entire life have I ever once experienced the rotten emotion of envy----until now.

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:12:27 pm »
Thanks for the ideas/replies folks, sorry I have been out of touch.  Lots of power troubles here in MI over the weekend, storms, rain, the works.  I liked the idea of the elevated loader with the compartments below (especially for rimmed cases), I was just wondering how some of you executed the idea.  Those are nice bases that you made Bruce, wish I had the patience and skill to make something that looked that good.  A Star looks right at home set up on that platform.  I have also been thinking about the bases that you stand at to use.  Sitting has been a pain lately (herniated disk they say).  

My main bench is placed so that I could build an L bench off the main bench.  That would allow access to the back and front of the loader.  Appreciate the good ideas, any others out there please let us all know.  

John
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:25:16 pm by Joatmon »

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:32:49 pm »
I made a simple riser for my Star. I just clamp it to the bench when I need to reload.

I pulled the indexer off for a better view.
Regards, Ray in FLA
Regards, Ray

45ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:24:16 pm »
I use a piece of heavy aluminum "C" channel as a mount for my Star(S). It started life as the bumper of a Freightliner. I drill and tap mounting holes for all the accessories and bolt it on. I find it heavy enough that I don't have to clamp it to the bench, but light enought that it can be moved as necessary.

Cheers, Wayne

45ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 01:25:15 pm »
Oops missed the seconnd photo....

THEcapt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 05:58:20 pm »
I think I have the plans for a bench described in an old Star manual.  The bench is about 14" wide and 5' long.  The raised platform as described elsewhere is centered.  The objective was to have a partner place bullets on charged cases on the back side while the operator ran everything else.  The partner was also responsible for cartridge removal for semi-auto rounds.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 09:24:32 pm »
When my father first got his Star and began reloading he had a similar setup. In was in the basement on a studded but unfinished wall. I was on the "other side" placing bullets and removing rounds if .45. (The .38 fell through)
I still have the Star mounted on the same board in my house, Just no rear access!

Board is drilled for primers to fall through into a drawer, and finished rounds into a plastic bin in the drawer.
weighted pedestals that Bruce uses are good too.
Sometimes simplest and basic is best.
If I get a chance will do measurements and dimensions, but I think it began as a 2 x 10 or 12.

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 09:02:26 pm »
I remember reading that bench information in the old Star pamphlet.  That business about the "partner" adding bullets to cases prior to seating, and removing loaded rounds sounded like a good way to get some smashed or chopped up fingers if the primary operator got a little enthusiastic about cranking the handle.  What was your system to avoid these minor problems NYKenn?  I like the smooth curves on the aluminum channel Wayne, no sharp corners to ding the knuckles.

John