Author Topic: Reloading bench ideas?  (Read 34078 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Reloading bench ideas?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:09 pm »
We never had an oops. But, then again my father never got ahead of himself.
I did two handed,  at the same time. Right removed the round, left placed the head on.
I do recall saying done or okay as soon as I placed the bullet and removed the finished round and put into a box.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Primer Catcher Idea
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 06:17:42 am »
Hi Guys:
I mount my Stars on directly on top of a realoading bench that has a 3/4" plywood subsurface covered with tempered bakelite.  So my Stars are bolted near the edge of the bench with four 2 inch long by 1/4" -20  machine screws, washers and nuts.  I drill 4 holes after marking them for these machine screws and also using a forstner bit I drill a 1 1/2" large hole in the area of the decapping station so that the primers can drop thru the bench.

In the past I simply put a large coffee can under the hole on the bench shelf.  However yesterday, while at my auto parts store, I noticed a Pennzoil plastic funnel for sale in 1/2 pint size or 4" across at the mouth.  The funnel has a sturdy extended handle with a hole drilled in it for display and hanging purposes.

I bought one.  Hurried home and removed the machine screw nut and washer from the one nearest the decapping die and slipped the funnel up onto the machine screw from under the bench.  I then reinstalled the nut and washer.  The funnel is now positioned under the hole that the primers drop through.  I happened to have a small plastic cap that fit the throught of the funnel and this turns the funnel into a rather large primer catcher.  I simply have to pull off the cap after placing a small container under it to empty the funnel.  A nice simple and cheap method for primer catching for those that permanently mount their Stars to the bench.
Art In Connecticut

johnbickar

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 10:52:42 pm »
I'm going to resurrect this long-dead thread in favor of starting a new one, because there are some good pictures of good setups in here.

Moving into a new place, with a blank slate for reloading setup, and looking for ideas. I am open to either building or buying a reloading bench; I'm relatively handy but not a carpenter.

90% of the reloading I do is on a Star (the other 10% being single-stage rifle rounds), and 90% of my Star reloading is .45ACP for bullseye pistol.

Looking to build something solid and permanent, as I own the new place  ;D

Have been reloading on Stars for over 20 years. My dad had a setup that was seated (but would work standing - the chair was high) and loaded rounds dropped through a hole in the bench top into a drawer. That was nice.

Current setup is a standing setup on a standard-height workbench. It works but I don't love it.

I'll try to take some pics and measurements and post them.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 12:43:30 pm »
Greetings,

A friend helped me make one of these benches suggested by the National Reloaders Manufacturing Assn. The plans cost about $10.00.

I have moved four times and the bench was one of the first considerations for relocation as I like it so much.

Very sturdy; but, it does take up some space.

Cheers,

Dave

https://www.google.com/search?q=nrma+reloading+bench&client=firefox-a&hs=2lM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=22TBU6uiG6K5igKa14CwCA&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=600

johnbickar

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 04:51:03 pm »
Thanks Dave, that's what I'm looking for. Plans are online too: http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com/downloads/bench_plans.pdf

johnbickar

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 10:58:59 pm »
These things take time...

Finally finished the bottom portion of the NRMA bench. Here is a photo album of my process so far; scroll to the bottom to see the finished product.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/b7cl4dqt4waiutj/AAB-_cBKAQ8BwNNPeIGTspEla

Thanks to Dave (fc60) for steering me in the right direction. As he can attest, anything worth doing is worth taking the time to do well.

I have not yet mounted my Star on the bench; that will come soon, once I get the bench in the garage. But the bigger priority this weekend is range time!

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 12:01:11 pm »
Greetings John,

I covered my bench top with Formica. After several years it has a chip here and there; but, is holding up.

The lag bolts are handy as I have moved my bench at least three times.

Shoot well on Father's Day.

Cheers,

Dave