Author Topic: 380 acp reloadin  (Read 12812 times)

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
380 acp reloadin
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:34:04 am »
Has anyone had experience they will share about setting up for reloading the 380 acp?  I have a shell plate for the 223.
Tom Butler

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: 380 acp reloadin
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 01:22:03 am »
I reload 380 ACP on a Star, what do you want to know?
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:56:54 am »
Did you alter a set of dies?  If so, after rethreading did you have them plated?  Do the 380 brass work through a case feeder?  Thanks, Tom
Tom Butler

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 09:20:05 am »
I was fortunate to find a set of Star dies in 380 ACP, including a Lifetyme carbide sizing die.   However, I'm pretty sure that CH Tool and Die made die sets in 380 when they did their run.  You might check if they have any left.   Also, I know that Rich Daniels (barrel tester) has done some work with turning down standard dies and cutting them with the Star thread.   I just picked up a new lathe (by new I mean 1946) with a tool post grinder, so at some point I plan to try turning down some standard dies as well.....but its way down on my priority list.

Hulme sold an adapter kit for 380.  It includes a replacement ram for the case feeder, and a 380 top plate.  The replacement ram is milled down to create a flatspot which is positioned at the top.  that way the cross section of the ram is only tall enough to catch one .380 (or 32 ACP) case at a time.   The top plate is similar to a 9mm top plate with some adjustments to account for the shorter and smaller diameter .380 case.

I could reproduce both parts for you.   I have the stock and the tooling for the ram.   I have some of what I need for the top plate but need to pick up some special end mills for the top plate.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 12:33:22 pm »
I am experimenting with the 9mm top plare and will flatten the top of the ram to see if I can make them work with the .380 cases.. It would help if you could send a photo of the 9mm and .380 top plates so that I could see the differences.
Tom Butler

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:44:56 pm »
Attached are pictures of the .380 top plate and 9mm top plate that I have.   Also included are some pictures of the .380 ram.   In case you can't tell from the pictures, the .380 top plate has a steel tube inserted in the hole.  The OD of the tube is .518", the same as the the hole size in the 9mm top plate (and probably the same as the hole in an M3 top plate)  The ID of the tube is .389".   I would almost say that they modified a 9mm top plate to make the .380 top plate, but that's not the case.   The section that protrudes down into the case feeder is longer on the .380 top plate.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 02:42:09 pm »
I talked with Mr. Pat Ryan at Redding today (607-753-3331) to check availability of 11/16"-24tpi dies.
.380acp and.44spl crimp dies are available.