Author Topic: Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part One, Dies  (Read 12998 times)

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part One, Dies
« on: August 23, 2009, 07:51:58 pm »
The following is a description of the modifications made to a Dillon 223 Rem three die (carbide sizer)  set for use with a Star Universal press (no modification to column height or link assembly).  The tool head was manfactured by Star with three stations cut for standard 7/8 x 14 dies and with the toolhead recessed to allow clearance for the sizer die.  If a standard 11/16 x 24 Star die toolhead is recut for 7/8 x 14 dies, the smaller cutout for sizer die clearance must be enlarged to allow clearance of 7/8 inch dies.

Carbide dies are more difficult (and more expensive to machine, relap and polish)  and next time I would use ordinary steel dies instead.    If I had dies available to choose from, I would look for those with knurled barrel assemblies rather than the built in nuts on the Dillon dies that require more machining.

The sizer die was reduced in lenght at the threaded end by .060 inches and the circumference of the threaded end machined to a diameter of .630 inch for a distance of 7/32 inch so it would clear or enter the relief cut into the shellplate.  A 1/32 inch radius was added to the internal diameter of the threaded end opening.  The built in nut at the top of the die was machined off and the barrel reduced to a diameter of .860 inch so it would clear the relief cut into the tool head (previously described).  There is a photo showing this.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Reload 223 Rem on Star: Part One, Dies
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:26 pm »
The seating die was reduced in lenght by .375 at the threaded end and the opening rechamfered.  The built in hex nut at the top of the die barrel was machined off and the barrel above the threads reduced to a diameter of .735 inches so the die could be inserted from the underside without having to remove the tool head spring and lower bolt.  The nut on the top of the insert that is adjusted to change seating depth was reduced in height by half to allow sufficient clearance for adjustment.

The crimp die was shortened at the threaded end by .100 inch and the bottom 7/32 inch reduced in circumference to a diameter of .630 inch.  The threaded end internal diameter was rechamfered.

I'll add pictures showing the clearances with the tool head up and the tool head at its lowest point.  Next week, I'll detail the powder spout.  The picture shows the second prototype.  The final now being machined.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:33:12 pm »
Here are the photos

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:33:01 pm »
Thanks for the pics, iam in the process of doing a Star in .223 now, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 12:44:27 pm »
George

I hope you can post pictures as you progress and describe what works and just as useful, what doesn't work.  I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel.  Everything I  post represents a work in progress and I'd appreciate any feedback from those that have "been there" and "done that."  I just have fun reconditioning old Stars.  This 223 project started  when I couldn't find a Super Dillon or parts for loading 223 on a Star. 

Manuel Cepeda

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:07:47 pm »
Sounds like you have thought it out, and what you posted so far looks good.

Thinking of doing production?
Keep up the posts!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 06:39:59 pm »
Only "production" may be the powder spout (and expander), and then limited to running off a few extra units.  For me this is a hobby.  I know Rich Daniels is working on a different design (spring loaded) powder spout and he has his own machine shop/business in place which is much more efficient than outsourcing to a machine shop.  I'm also putting together a expander assembly similar to the powder spout assembly, substituting a expander mandrel for the internal powder spout, for the primer station. The setup I have now uses the expander ball at the sizer station and nothing in the toolplate hole at the primer location.  Thus far, the primers seat fine without a expander there but I am concerned that the cartridge won't always move in properly riding on the primer slide and someday I will hear a bang from a crunched primer.  When I finish working out the primer assembly, I'll run off a few extra to go with the extra powder spouts that have been run off.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:10:41 pm »
I did need flats on the sizer die for a wrench (probably knurling would work also), so returned to the machinist for this.  After machining down to a size that would clear the hole in the toolplate, it was too slick to grasp so flats were necessary.  See photo below.

The carbide had to be repolished, this time with Grade 9 (Green) diamond lapping compound.

Not knowing what would work, I modified both the Dillon carbide 3 die 223 Rem rifle set and a Forster bump neck die for the 7/8 x 14 holes in the shellplate.  The modified dies are shown below.

Total machine shop cost came to just at $200.  A two die set would have been less expensive (using roll crimp at seater station, omitting taper crimp die).  Also, I doubt most users would want both a full lenght sizing die and a neck only sizing die in addition.  Steel rather than carbide would have been easier.

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 09:43:49 am »
Just learned (when I tried to substitute  lock rings that tighten down on the die itself) that not all brands of lock rings for 7/8" dies will easily clear the primer punch rod at the sizer station.  I ended up using the Dillon 1" die lock ring (14067 BENCH-1).  It is already cut small for tight clearances.  Dillon also has a 1" bench wrench cut for tight locations that is convenient.  The part number for the wrench and 5 die lock rings set is 10668.

So there is a workaround if your knurled circular lock ring is too large or you have the bolt style and don't want to grind  the corners for clearance.

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:47:31 am »
I just received some parts , including a shellplate in .223, from Richard Daniels, who is a member of this forum, Richards workmanship is superb, i highly recommed him for star parts, he makes several parts for Star machines, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member