Author Topic: Problem w/ Primer Transfer Bar, Primer Punch, & Bushing  (Read 11916 times)

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Problem w/ Primer Transfer Bar, Primer Punch, & Bushing
« on: December 17, 2009, 05:45:43 pm »
I recently had jams caused by the primer bar being stopped by a primer punch bushing that was not seated properly.

I stoned the bushing top & bottom. The circumference of the punch head showed some marking but no scratches or burrs. neither had the top or bottom. When slid in & out it did not move freely. I spun it in a hand drill against a stone until it was
free. I cleaned the area w/ a small brush & air. Since this I have loaded 230 rds of 45 acp, the round which gave the problem. These little frustrations are occurring more often as the yrs & round count accumulates.

All this being said the condition of the various parts & the operation of the machine is a tribute to the designer & builders! I wonder if 50-60 yrs down the road the plastic & stamped parts in use for the new machines will allow the same to be said

Ron

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Problem w/ Primer Transfer Bar, Primer Punch, & Bushing
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 11:03:02 am »
I am sure the same will never be said with most plastics, which tend to show wear quicker than metals do. Most newer things in general are designed for obsolescence. This insures future purchases and profits.

I do not know of anyone that had to replace a Star, or for that matter had so send any back for tweaking, fixing, etc. Added a newer one, wanted more, but not replaced.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:53:38 am »
In the 15 years of using a Star Universal, the only problem that I have ever encounted with the base machine was in the area of the primer feed.  In all three cases the primer bushing somehow became loose and started to back its way out or "up".  This caused the primer slide bar have more friction and it would not return back to get another primer. 

Looking back, I am probably guilty of not cleaning the base as often as I should.  Having machines dedicated to my commonly reloaded pistol calibers lends to this lack of cleaning I recon.

Art In Connecticut

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 03:01:04 pm »
In my last 33 years of the star I have never had that problem but I must say I do keep it clean

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 05:23:16 pm »
I bought my first Star in the mid 70's never really cleaned it properly for quite a few years, although I do now and never had any problems with it.
I have loaded a few hundred thousand rounds  ( 45ACP ) with it and it is still priceless. I have 8 other Stars but this one will never be sold!
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

mackamanf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 01:32:59 am »
I have had a similar, perhaps the same, as this problem if I understand it properly.  The primer punch wouldn't go down all the way as it hit the primer slide as the primer slide wouldn't go in all the way.  It was just off by a very few thousands.  I removed the primer slide and associated parts and cleaned the inmost interior portion of where the primer slide seated with a dental pick, very carefully to not scratch anything.  The blocking material was the graphite which I use to lubricate the slide had accumulated over the years and had built up sufficiently to stop the slide short of lining up with the primer punch as it came down as the handle was worked.  I encountered this same fault with a friend's STAR when he had the same problem and couldn't fix it with normal cleaning.
Fred M.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »
I've been offline for a time so here is a belated thanks for those who imparted their experiences.