Author Topic: Factory returns ?  (Read 13977 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Factory returns ?
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:11:20 am »
A post in another topic got me thinking.
I do not know of anyone that had to return a Star machine for tweaking, repair, exchange, etc. The quality was that good. But, there may have been a few.
Interested to know if anyone had any experiences with "problem" machines?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Re: Factory returns ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:48:17 pm »
Kenn,
An interesting comment. One of Dillon's big claims is their warranty. I don't recall it ever being mentioned in regard to Star. I'm like you, never heard of anything that didn't work or broke. The usual comment was that after securing the machine to a bench adding powder & primers the handle was pulled and from the 1st stroke good ammo was being produced.

A couple of yrs ago I set up a Dillon w/ all the bells & whistles. Took 2 sessions after being bolted to the bench. Our 1st attempt produced hit & miss primimg, even a sideways inserted primer! Called Dillon and as good as their word had him send it back. They only had it a couple of days & when it was returned it worked fine.

BUT it is an interesting contrast.

Ron

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:42:10 pm »
Agreed Ron.

I have a Dillon 550 that I use exclusively for rifle. Good machine, no complaints, makes good ammo, and they back their warranty claims.  But, it is not the same as a Star!

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:54:47 am »
It has been too long ago now for me to be sure but I think that I returned one once.

Had bought a used machine that was in horrible condition.  Returned it for repairs.  The machine's problem was neglect.
former progressive press collector

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:58:27 am »
I have a Star nib with all paper work , tnere is no warrantee, but it did not need it.
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

CHAWKI44

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:58:13 am »
Used machines at Star were not uncommon, but they were returned for tuning cleaning etc. Elard took care of this personally. Most of the machines I remember were from shooting clubs, police departments. I have a few of the machines that were replaced (due to requests of the past owners) that were still in great condition. The only machine I can remember Elard throwing in the scrap heap came out of a fire.