Author Topic: New star owner - Universal 38 special  (Read 8510 times)

scrapcan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
New star owner - Universal 38 special
« on: December 30, 2009, 03:25:58 pm »
I purchased a used in good condition star universal loader in 38 spl/ and found the forum while looking fo rinformaitoon the day I bought it.  It has a hulme case feeder, freeloader case colator (needs a little work), lots of powder slides (9 or 10), several different top punches for lyman moulds (an uncle bought the moulds and told me about he reloader which I then bought (very cheaply, or better described as stole, for $60.36, yes that is sixty dollars and 36 cents).  I have the adapter plates and a few large 1/2 bushings for obsolete powder, one is setting by the lathe to be bored for hornady bushings.

On the freeloader case collator;  The peice in the funnel is loose and moves around wiht the tube installed.   Should it be secured to the botom of the bowl inside of the funnel?  Mine is put together with what looks like silicon and would be easy to take a part and re-assemble.  All help is appreciated.

I set it up and started loading (RCBS 150 SWC using seater punch for 358429, and 3.3 gr BE) and have loaded a few hundred rounds to date.  I can see why they are highly regarded. 

With that, I say thanks for all the info available for me to read prior to this first post.

SWANEE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: New star owner - Universal 38 special
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 03:51:31 pm »
Congrats, I can see you smiling now. If you by chance need any of the powder bushings, I just happen to have quite a few. Welcome to the forum. Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: New star owner - Universal 38 special
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:21:04 pm »
I think Freeloaders were originally put together with silicon, and I have had several that suffered from the same condition as yours.   I repaired them with silicon.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com