Author Topic: freeloader repair  (Read 13734 times)

scrapcan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
freeloader repair
« on: January 02, 2010, 01:33:36 am »
AS a new owner I need assistance with the repair of the freeloader.

The one that came with the new to me universal progressive has a loose internal piece. the piece that the feed tube goes into.

When I repair this do I silicon the internal piece to the bottom of the upper bowl assembly?

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Re: freeloader repair
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:56:51 am »
The two Freeloaders I have seem to have been crafted using a silicone to joint the bowl to the funnel.
In addition, having taken one apart that needed repairs, there was a rather large "washer" in there to perhaps add weight to the unit.  I can imagine that the weight aids in "wobble" as well as in downward pressure on the top of the Hulme case feeder.

Do not over load the freeloader with cases.  If too many are placed in the dish they will not roll around and feed or drop well.  You learn this as time goes by.

Art In Connecticut

scrapcan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:22:55 pm »
thanks for the info.  Can you tell me where and how the big washer is attached in the funnel?  Is the feeder tube attached to the funnel and how? Mine has the weight/washer loose and the tube is also loose.

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 03:17:15 pm »
I have not taken apart a non-broken Freeloader...  that said, the washer appeared to be siliconed to the bottom of the bowl with the hole in the washer aligned with the hole in the bottom of the bowl.  The silicon had separated from the bowl so I cleaned it all off and then cleaned the bottom of the bowl with alcohol and once dry re-siliconed the washer in place.  It has been working now for about a year.

The bowl was then siliconed to the funnel and the funnel had a tube inserted in it to marry to the loading tube.  I have found that the loading tube needs to be long (say about 3 feet or so).  Too short a tube does not impart enough "wobble" to cause cases to roll and feed I have found.

Also Rich Daniels makes an improved tube holder.  This is a clamping holder that attaches to the leftmost long link arm.  The improved holder has hole in it thru which the loading tube runs.  As the machine head goes up and down the holder causes just the correct amount of wobble, in a slight forward and backwards manner, to the bowl/funnel unit to jostle a case down into the loader tube.  The heavy washer then gives some momentum to the wobble and also adds heft to keep the tube pressed down on the case feeder.

Rich is sometimes here on the forum but not too often does he contribute (from what I have seen).  He is a master machinist and gunsmith and can make or fashion just about any part for the Star that makes economical sense.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:20:18 pm by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut

scrapcan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 12:32:17 am »
Art,

Thanks for the information.  I pulled mine apart as the internal washer was loose.   All of your info above is correct.  I will try to take some pictures and measurements when I put it back together.  I think I have the loop that you mentioned to better actuate the freeloader, it is painted the same color as the freeloader funnel so suspect it is of same vintage.

scrapcan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 12:38:19 pm »
here is a picture of the disassembled freeloader and the rign for agitation on the pivot arm of the star universal

washer is 1" id, 2 1/2 " od , 3/16" thichness.

cpvc fitting in the washer is standard 1/2 pipe fitting bored out to 5/8" to fit over feed tube

funnel is 6 inch top diameter w/ funnel cut off at bottom to slip fit the feed tube (easy way to do this would be to slip feed tube in form to pand lok in botto to rought cut, then fine tune.

Bowl is a ceramic cereal bowl with 5/8" hole drilled in center. Bowl is 6 1/2" od at top x 1 3/4 inch deep.

All is held together with silicon.  Mine went back to gether that way also.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 06:08:09 pm »
Here's a bit of the lighter side......Some yrs ago a couple of us made  freeloaders for use on our stars. Many yrs later, after the other shooter had died another shooter volunteered to assist his widow in pricing & disposing of his equipment. He found his laoder & sizer sitting there ready to go 5 or so yrs after his demise. His widow, upon looking at the loader exclaimed " There's Jimmy's cereal bowl! I never could understand what could have happened to it!" Jimmy, a son, is long grown thus giving indication to the time interval.