Author Topic: 45 ACP taper crimp die Question  (Read 12619 times)

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
45 ACP taper crimp die Question
« on: May 07, 2010, 02:01:31 pm »
Hi guys hope all is well! It's been a while since I have been able to play!

I need a question answered about a taper crimp die for 45ACP. Does the die have a bullet seater in it, and who has them? Thanks, Gene

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 45 ACP taper crimp die Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 02:49:16 pm »
Most dies have a crimp built into them, if you are crimping with a crimp die in a nother station, it will not have a bullet seater in it, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 03:19:31 pm »
there is two types of taper crimp die, screw in and post type they just taper crimp only in the last station

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »
Ok, I am now more confused! Let me start from the begining. I have a Star, first station is resize & decap, second is neck expander & prime, third is powder, fourth & last is seat & crimp. How would you seat a bullet and crimp if it's not done at the same station? Are you using two different stations to seat and crimp? If so please explain. I want to seat and taper crimp in one operation. (is this not the correct way to do this?) Thanks

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:46:03 pm »
No can do

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:07:31 pm »
Greetings,

It is best to crimp in the last station (where you remove the finished round). Older presses have a 3/8" non-threaded hole at this location. Newer tools are drilled and tapped 11/16-24.

As you lower the tool head to seat the bullet and crimp at the same time, you will shave Lead if there is no crimping groove. Should you use a bullet such as the Lyman 452423 there is a crimping groove and a taper or roll crimp works fine. Most Star dies I have seen have a roll crimp in the seating/crimping combination die.

I can drill and tap your tool head if it has only the 3/8" hole. I can also machine a new taper crimp die for you. Contact me off line if I can be of service.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

alwiddis

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:32:54 am »
I got a 45 acp taper crimp die from FC60 and all is well with the universe. I was home on emergency leave from Afghanistan for two weeks and had some down time. I used my new crimp die; installed my moon unit indexer and case kicker and loaded several hundred rounds and went shooting. My Star is ROCKING now!

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:34 pm »
Alwiddis! First, Let me say, God Bless you, and Thank You for your Service! I'm glad to hear you had some trigger time for fun! I appreciate your kind words for Dave Wilson. I had a great, lengthly conversation with Dave two weeks ago. He is without question a top shelf "tool & die maker". It was his recommendation that I try and find a Post TC die before he re-machines my tool head to accept one of his custom TC dies. I actually sent payment to Bill Cunningham at Star Machine Works for a used POST TC DIE he had. I'm just waitting for it. I plan on working with Dave on a 9MM set up as soon as I complete my 45acp.

Enjoy your time home! Stay safe! Thank You Again for your Service! Gene