Author Topic: Hi All  (Read 9490 times)

JET

• View Profile
Hi All
« on: June 07, 2004, 01:51:38 pm »
This is an awsome site.  I have been using Star equipment since the 60's both in commercial and personal use.  I have a few questions but will continue going through all of the stuff here and maybe a few will be answered.  Keep up the good work.

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 04:52:50 pm »
I am new to this site as of today.  I was able to buy the Star Progressive Press in .38 SPL that was in the John Amber estate sale.  Supposedly it was sent to him for review for the original Handloader's Digest and was used just enough for that test.  It is set up with the Lifetyme TC sizing die and a seater for semiwadcutters, and had the Hulme Case Feeder installed.  Other than being dirty from long storage and having lost the upper block and tube from the case feeder it seems ready to load ammo.  I'm looking forward to trying it out and to reading this forum for ideas and sources.  Thanks in advance for all the help I know I will glean from this site.  :D

Regards,
Charlie Shaeff
Green Frog

Michael Carlin

• Active Members
  • Don't let the bastards get you down!
    • View Profile
New to this forum, unsophiscated Star user
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 11:47:04 pm »
Hi, professional soldier, 54, still serving, enlisted (MSG) U.S. Army, currently stationed CONUS.

Own a Star Universal that my father bought for me about 20 years ago.  Had a primer magazine explosion in it about 10 years ago. Have loaded about 15-25 K rounds on it. (Problems with primer feed explosion caused by my poor maintenance. It just plain got too dirty to run.)

I replaced the primer feed parts, and sort of fell into shooting stuff loaded on my Dillon 550B.

The loader is currently sitting on my newly constructed work bench and aside from being dusty seems to function. It has the Hulme case feeder and the indexer that pushes the case in the size station to the prime station.

I am going to put this guy back into service.  Where can I get a Freeloader and a tube? I was once pretending to be a journeyman equipment mechanic for ten years or so. Can a moderately skilled person tear one of these down, clean it up, green pad off a little rust, reassemble and lube it without getting into serious trouble?

When I bought it, there were instructions on mounting it on a bench so that you sat on the bench to anchor it, the loader was to be installed on a platform built up a bit.  Someone has a post describing this. Are there plans for this setup?

It certainly helped me to become a Distinguished Pistol Shot (1995) and now I would like to see if I can crank out a President's One Hundred score.  The wad cutter loaded on it should help me get ready for the "ball gun" President's match.
Yours in Marksmanship,

Michael Carlin